Around 1934/35 the Scott Three-cylinder motorcycle made its debut in the form of a water cooled 750cc in-line machine. This was superseded by the 1000cc version and proved to be another example of innovative engineering by the Scott company. Unfortunately, this motorcycle was never produced in large numbers due to the onset of the Second World War coupled with the company’s dwindling business fortunes.
Shortly after the end of the Second World War Scott relaunched the Flying Squirrel. Available in 500 or 600cc form the machine was even heavier than its pre-war predecessor due to the addition of massive wheel hubs. The machine was relatively expensive for the performance it offered, and this did nothing to enhance sales. The company limped on for a few more years until going into voluntary liquidation in 1950.
This was not the end of the Scott story. At the end of 1950 the Scott manufacturing rides were bought by Matt Holder who was to restart Scott motorcycle manufacture in Birmingham. In 1956 the Birmingham Scott was announced, a 596cc model with a duplex frame, telescopic fork front and swinging arm rear suspension. The Scott engine (with modified castings) radiator and the pilgrim oil pump remained as characteristic features of the machine. In 1958, a further improved model, the Scott Swift was announced. The engine was fitted with flat top Pistons giving 500cc displacement and capable of 90 miles an hour. Unfortunately, this machine never went into production and Matt Holder reverted to the old-style engine. The Birmingham Scott’s remained in production right up to the end of the 1960’s at which time they still featured some of the key characteristics of the original models.