HELP! Birmingham Scott won't start ??

A place to discuss all matters relating to Scott Motorcycles.
Accessible to members and non-club members (you will need to register to post messages).....

Re: HELP! Birmingham Scott won't start ??

Postby Tman » 13 Jul 2016, 07:37

I tend to agree with that. Although the gel etc batteries are maintenance-free and don't spurt acid over your chrome work, in my experience they aren't great with old-world dynamos and mech regs.
I stick with a little lead-acid battery in a replica T battery case, and a DVR2 electronic reg which I've found to be excellent on various bikes now.
Tman
Club Member

Postby jampotrdann » 14 Jul 2016, 13:38

i had exactly the same faults.i fitted a refurbished carb without checking it and the main jet was missing i wouldnt have minded but i paid £195 for the carb
1934 scott flier
1953 barnett
1956 ariel red hunter
1995 bmw 1000 clasic
jampotrdann
Club Member

Postby Russell » 30 Jul 2017, 18:47

Many thanks for all the advice, after starting from scratch and checking through everything we've finally got in running again :D
Russell

Re: Birmingham Scott problems

Postby Russell » 30 Jul 2017, 18:56

BRIAN MARSHALL wrote:Screw the primary air screw fully in (gently !), and then unscrew it 1.5 turns for an initial start up. Fine adjustments can be carried out later.

Not sure exactly what kind of carb we have...
WP_20170730_19_24_04_Pro.jpg

But I'm assuming "1" is the throttle stop screw, and "2" is the air screw ?

What's the best way to set the carb up for optimal running?

Cheers
Russell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russell

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 30 Jul 2017, 21:23

Yes, number two is the idle mixture screw. Carb is Amal 206/151R.
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Russell » 30 Jul 2017, 21:30

Okay thanks, any advice on how best to set it up?
Russell

Postby timetc » 03 Aug 2017, 12:55

Dont leave us in suspense Russell what was the problem?
timetc
Club Member

Postby Russell » 03 Aug 2017, 14:41

Ha :roll: hard to tell as we changed so much, but most likely candidate was a poor battery :D
Russell

Postby rotary294 » 13 Aug 2017, 09:28

I know this is no help to you Russell (at the moment), but I converted our 1960 Brummie to 12 volts, running 2 6volt coils in series (6 + 6 = 12) and an Accuspark trigger instead of points, no condensor - have you replaced yours Russell ? It started 3 rd kick after standing 3 years, with new fuel of course. If you are getting an abnormally bright spark at the points - could be condensor.
Good luck..
rotary294
Club Member

Postby Russell » 13 Aug 2017, 11:57

It's been running great since we got it re-started, starting first or second kick, until I went out on it yesterday. I'd just filled it up with petrol then about 50 yards from the petrol station it faltered lost lower and stopped. I checked round and one of the HT leads had come loose on the spark plug, so tightened it up, presuming that was the problem. Then it wouldn't start again, so had to call breakdown to get me home. I've checked it over today and everything looks okay, but it still wont kick over. I've checked that there is a spark by connecting a timing light in series with the plugs, so presumed fuel, but everything looks okay there too, even tried some Easy Start but not a puff or a bang.

So back to square one :shock:

There's just no sign of life, and I know now everything is set okay, totally frustrated :cry:
Russell

Postby Russell » 13 Aug 2017, 12:21

Just a thought, could filling it up with petrol have dislodged some crud in the tank, that's blocked something in the carb? Is there a way of definitively checking you're getting fuel through?
Russell

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 13 Aug 2017, 16:20

Diesel in the tank instead of petrol ?! Worth checking.... :roll:
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Russell » 13 Aug 2017, 16:51

Ha I did check my receipt just in case but no, petrol :)
Russell

Postby Bob Mather » 14 Aug 2017, 05:35

Hi Russell,
When setting up the carb, screw the throttle stop right down until the throttle shuts completely. Two strokes should be set up this way to stop popping and jerking on the over run.
Regards,
Bob Mather.
Bob Mather
Club Member

Postby efr215 » 15 Aug 2017, 14:47

There is one more thing worth checking, I found this problem on my '49 DPY engine.

At some time in its life it seems someone tried to 'improve' the ports on this engine. As a result they broke through the crankcase casting from the inside edge of the bottom LH transfer port to the flywheel space. They then filled it (badly) with plastic padding or something like it. Time, oil & vibration took their toll and loosened up the plug allowing air to bleed in.

I found myself a top-notch welder who filled up the hole for me. After a brief visit to my milling machine for a refinish of the transfer port gasket face all was well.

The point here is that, at least in the case of my engine, the casting is pretty thin so not only is there a danger of over enthuastic port polishing but I have heard that casting porosity is not unknown.

It would therefore be worth the time spent to do a very critical inspection of all the intake tracts and mating faces.
efr215
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Scott topics