"D" Section Mudguards

A place to discuss all matters relating to Scott Motorcycles.
Accessible to members and non-club members (you will need to register to post messages).....

"D" Section Mudguards

Postby green » 27 Nov 2017, 21:16

Other than the valanced ones made in India, does anyone have a source for the correct section 5 inch wide D guards with a slight crown in the centre.
I need the rear one as well.
Cheers
Geoff
Geoff Green
green
Club Member

Re: "D" Section Mudguards

Postby John Rose » 28 Nov 2017, 21:45

Hello Geoff,
About 12 months ago I bought a pair of mudguard blanks for a mid thirties Flyer from AutoCycle Engineering in (Dursley Street ? next door to Alpha Bearings)) Netherton, Birmingham. I think they have a website but I'm unable to achieve a link here. They were for another member so the price isn't etched into my memory, but £50 apiece seems familiar. They will be interested in the width, depth and length of the mudguard as well as the diameter of the tyre. The gap between the tyre and mudguard both for front and rear wheels will have to be taken into account as well. Only half of these details occurred to me, and a preliminary phone call to them led to me working out exactly what I wanted.
Hope this is helpful.
John
John Rose
Club Member

Postby Orgasmatron » 29 Nov 2017, 17:55

I obtained a rear mudguard to the same dimension as the original on my 1930 TT Rep from them (www.auto-cycle.co.uk) ; cost £70.
They require the width/depth and overall length of the mudguard and, of course, the diameter required.
To obtain the necessary diameter, I placed a block of wood on top of the rear tyre and took a measurement from the c/l of the wheel spindle to the top of the bolck of wood.
You will have to cut out a section to acomodate the chain/guard.
Chris.
Orgasmatron
Club Member

Postby green » 04 Dec 2017, 21:05

Thanks both for the info.

Autocycle have the patterns but are not proposing to make any soon. It appears that they want to do a production run, not one offs. I will email them and ask if they will let me know when they propose to make some. I will then put it on the forum so that anyone interested can contact them directly.

Geoff
Geoff Green
green
Club Member

Postby flyingsquirrel » 07 Dec 2017, 21:59

I still have a few of the run of 25 that AutoCycle did for me many years ago using a battered 1928 Scott rear mudguard as a pattern down to the indent for the chain guard clearance. Shipping tends to be expensive but I can ship 2 in one parcel.
flyingsquirrel
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 08 Dec 2017, 16:33

Hi Fred. Do you have an idea of the cost of two rear guards, including shipping ? Murphy's Law being what it is, I had a valanced front and the rear, sitting doing nothing for years, so sold them to Kev Bayliss, and then a rebuild project turns up that needs them ! Regards, Brian.
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby flyingsquirrel » 08 Dec 2017, 19:27

Looks like shipping is $85.00 making for $285.00 for two including shipping. Takes a pretty large box as the arc is close to 200 degrees....Fred
flyingsquirrel
Club Member

Postby petehull64 » 17 Jan 2018, 19:04

I too am looking a D section mudguard for a 19" flyer rear wheel and think I have found a source! Check out British Only Austria's website part number : Store3.BS-1187. They also do one for 20" and 21" wheels at €99 + whatever they charge for postage. Doesn't have the raised crown that Geoff was looking but looks right for what I need ?
Peter
petehull64
Club Member

Return to General Scott topics