Which air filter will fit my 29 Flyer ?

A place to discuss all matters relating to Scott Motorcycles.
Accessible to members and non-club members (you will need to register to post messages).....

Which air filter will fit my 29 Flyer ?

Postby NIngram » 12 Feb 2018, 21:11

Hitchcock have a AM/6/038B which in theory will fit ? I can’t help feeling it’s only a question of time before a piece of grit or stone gets injested so looking to stop that from happening.

Has anyone else done this succesfully ?
NIngram
Club Member

Re: Which air filter will fit my 29 Flyer ?

Postby lewis onions » 13 Feb 2018, 15:34

Are you using it off-road or on gravel paths, then ?
lewis onions
Club Member

Postby NIngram » 13 Feb 2018, 18:46

No just paranoid, insurance against ‘probably will never happen to me’

OK, different tack, has anyone to their knowledge ever heard of an issue with injested debris causing a problem?

Pilgrim pump now all sorted & emptying wells on both sides, ferrule was so long it was blocking off side oil way, which is a known issue that I had looked at but not appreciated how it might have affected my pump, lesson number 1322 learnt.......
NIngram
Club Member

Postby lewis onions » 13 Feb 2018, 22:20

Never had the problem - but then again I've never ridden up a gravel path. I think that there used to be a problem with trouser legs getting sucked into the carb mouth on two-speeders and occasionally you see a wire guard added to avoid this but even those guards would not stop anything but a large pebble. As a two-speeder's carb. inlet is more exposed than the one on your bike (as the two speeder's carb is mounted to the side of the engine) I think you can assume that gravel in the carb is not a common problem . I cannot recall ever seeing an air filter on a vintage Scott but if you must I suggest that a piece of wire gauze soldered in the bell mouth would be appropriate. Not sure whether it might not affect the performance though.

Good news about the pilgrim pump. Not long until the good weather now and then we can start the North Warwickshire section with an evening ride-out to an appropriate hostelry!!
lewis onions
Club Member

Postby NIngram » 14 Feb 2018, 07:51

Mmmm, like the sound of that on all points, wasn’t aware of a N Warwickshire section, a leading statement maybe ?
NIngram
Club Member

Postby Shipbuilder » 14 Feb 2018, 11:51

NIngram wrote:Hitchcock have a AM/6/038B which in theory will fit ? I can’t help feeling it’s only a question of time before a piece of grit or stone gets injested so looking to stop that from happening.

Has anyone else done this succesfully ?

Hi Ningram, I know exactly what you mean I also have the sort of luck that will cause my motor to ingest a small stone when no one else is affected. To this end I fitted a "Gauze Intake Assembly" stock code 30/339 to my 1939 Flying Squirrel. This came from Burlen (Amal) and was £26.24 plus £4.95 postage. It is a direct screw fit replacing the small standard bell mouth.
Hope this is of some help.

Derek.
Shipbuilder
Club Member

Postby Barrie » 14 Feb 2018, 14:34

Barrie
Club Member

Postby NIngram » 14 Feb 2018, 17:10

Thanks Derek & Barrie, my carb isn’t threaded at the mouth & no trumpet, If anyone pipes up that they have had the misfortune then I may continue, I’m new to all this so maybe paranoia shouldn’t stand in the way of tradition on this occasion. Regards to all. Nigel
NIngram
Club Member

Postby Tman » 14 Feb 2018, 18:24

The coarse gauze inlet covers are classed as flame traps rather than filters, and that makes practical sense to fit one of those (to my '47 anyway)
Tman
Club Member

Postby Barrie » 14 Feb 2018, 18:56

NIngram wrote:Thanks Derek & Barrie, my carb isn’t threaded at the mouth & no trumpet, If anyone pipes up that they have had the misfortune then I may continue, I’m new to all this so maybe paranoia shouldn’t stand in the way of tradition on this occasion. Regards to all. Nigel

Look at the Fecked site some of items are clamp on, just go to these pages
https://www.feked.com/carbs-fuel/bellmouths/
Barrie
Club Member

Postby NIngram » 14 Feb 2018, 21:29

Thanks again Barrie, so forget the stones & worry about flames, what have I let myself in for :lol:
NIngram
Club Member

Postby dave bushell » 15 Feb 2018, 17:08

Re flame traps on carbs. Back in the 1950s, I parked my '48 Scott in the local cinema car park. After the film I came out, tickled the float chamber, kicked the kick starter and the carb burst into flames. I started scooping up carpark gravel and dust to try to extinguish the flames without much success but fortunately a car owner had an extinguisher which did its job.
On close examination of the carb, I found that some scumbag had disconnected the spark plug leads and stuffed them into the bellmouth! In the dark of the car park I hadn't noticed.
dave bushell
Club Member

Postby Bob Mather » 15 Feb 2018, 22:30

Hi ,
My drive is 100yards long and gravel which I travers on a regular basis plus club runs sometimes have sections of unsealed road or dirt roads as we call them out here and I have never had the carburettor suck in stones.
Regards,
Bob Mather.
Bob Mather
Club Member

Postby NIngram » 17 Feb 2018, 20:00

Accidents can happen I suppose, roll the dice & take your chance, I’m happy to hear it’s not a common issue & in future should I ever park up in a cinema car park I may just check plug leads before kicking away (the little scallywags) :lol: I’m still considering if not to stop stones but to stop fire, now that really would upset me. Thank so much for the views & advice, it’s all good research material should anyone else need it.
NIngram
Club Member

Postby SwedScott » 19 Feb 2018, 20:09

Hi

I think that, if not driven in extremely dusty conditions, the increased engine wear caused by breathing unfiltered air is not that great. This considering the average low mileage. Most of us doesn’t use our old motorcycles everyday. But in my opinion a flame trap is essential. I have, personally, seen two, beautifully restored, bikes burn to cinders because of carburettor blowback!
I got one of those Amal “filers”, without the insert, for free. I intend to fit some gauze to that, if no better alternative comes up in the mean time.
If there is no thread on the carburettor maybe one could fit one of those modern conical or cylindrical air cleaners with rubber backside and hose clip. They come in a surprisingly variety of sizes. Might look a bit out of place, but they are mostly not that eye catching.

Best regards
Leif
SwedScott
Club Member

Return to General Scott topics