Yesterday...

A place to discuss all matters relating to Scott Motorcycles.
Accessible to members and non-club members (you will need to register to post messages).....

Yesterday...

Postby Tman » 16 Apr 2018, 09:15

...was the annual Mayor of Havant's charity Run.
"What bike are taking this year?" I was asked by my riding group.
"The Scott of course as it's the most reliable" I stupidly replied.
Fate then decreed that it broke down a hundred yard from the off with a broken throttle cable. Getting into it this morning revealed that the inner had actually broken half an inch from the nipple in the twist-grip. Never seen that before on a well-lubed cable.
Time to break out the cable soldering stuff. :D
Tman
Club Member

Re: Yesterday...

Postby richard norris » 16 Apr 2018, 10:37

What a bummer and impossible to foresee.
Richard Norris
richard norris
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 16 Apr 2018, 20:37

Half an inch from the nipple is the clue, and I bet that when the cable was made, the soldering got too hot and embrittled the Bowden cable.
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby midge » 17 Apr 2018, 00:56

Be thankful for small mercy's same thing happened to me in the middle of nowhere, only the clutch cable pulled out of the nipple and of course the nipple then fell through the lever never to be seen again!
midge
Club Member

Postby Tman » 17 Apr 2018, 08:39

BRIAN MARSHALL wrote:Half an inch from the nipple is the clue, and I bet that when the cable was made, the soldering got too hot and embrittled the Bowden cable.

Possible, but unlikely in this case, as I hold the cable in the jaws of the vice with the nipple sitting on top of the vice jaws, so the vice acts as a huge heat-sink. I also use a soldering iron only and never a gas torch or soldering pot.
Incidentally I made it home by fixing a chock-block connector to the cable end and taping the throttle outer to the brake cable. I had to ride home with my thumb above rather than below the 'bars but it worked quite well. I was quite adept at it by the time I reached home.. :wink:
Tman
Club Member

Postby Tman » 20 Apr 2018, 16:21

Went out for a sixty mile or so run today with two riding mates. All three bikes sitting in the hot sun outside the tea-stop and attracted a small band of watchers when it was time to leave. The A10 and the Bullet were both reluctant to start, unlike the Scott which fired up half-down the kick-start swing.
She's redeemed herself... :wink:
Tman
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 20 Apr 2018, 16:56

Normally, the number of kicks required to start a bike is directly proportional to the number of people watching you...
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Tman » 20 Apr 2018, 20:58

Yebbut, everyone says that Scotts don't follow the usual rules.
Tman
Club Member

Return to General Scott topics