Amac carb for a 1927 2 speed Super

A place to discuss all matters relating to Scott Motorcycles.
Accessible to members and non-club members (you will need to register to post messages).....

Amac carb for a 1927 2 speed Super

Postby Brian Petheram » 11 Oct 2004, 17:19

According to my Amac literature the correct carb for my Super should be a TT15HY Sports. Whilst there are a fair few Amacs around at jumbles and on Ebay the chances of finding this precise model are slim - I've looked at dozens. I'm enough of an anorak to want to replace my Amal with an Amac but not quite sad enough to worry about the code stamped on the body so my question is: can any Amac with the right stub fitting be converted to suit my Super? What are the key dimensions or codes?

I have Technicalities but there is nothing of much use on carb specs. Of course if you happen to have the correct carb gathering dust on a shelf... :lol:

Brian
Brian Petheram

TT AMAC for Super Squirrel

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 12 Oct 2004, 16:52

Hi Brian, You are likely to run into problems with a bitza AMAC because the correct one was made specially for Scotts, with a different primary airway system to suit the relatively poor low-speed induction suck of the Scott engine at kickstart speed. For the same reason most Scotts need a lot of flooding and carb tickling to start from cold. I have a leaflet on the subject somewhere, and when/if I find it I will send you a copy. Regards, Brian.
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Stan Thomas » 18 Oct 2004, 12:36

Hi Brian,

If you go searching for an Amac Carb, bear in mind it will probably be very worn, and they are somewhat difficult to restore - but as I'm doing one for Club Member at the moment, if you need any advice etc, give me a call.

Stan.
Stan Thomas
Club Member

Postby Brian Petheram » 18 Oct 2004, 16:49

thanks for the offer Stan - and thanks for the info Brian. I will keep searching as I think an Amac looks so right on a Super, even though my Amal works well. I have a couple of 1920s Amac books which is where I got my info from though I'm far from confident about it.
It seems there is a dearth of info about carbs fitted to vintage Scotts (would a Binks be an option?) - I'm sure an article for Yowl would be welcomed by more than just me.

Brian
Brian Petheram

Return to General Scott topics