Flyer Saddle

Here you can find out about using the forum - if you are a new user please browse, other users can post/ask advice on how to use the forum.

Flyer Saddle

Postby John Francis » 13 Nov 2014, 18:04

Hello All, This is my first post to the forum so welcome to you all, I am starting the restoration of my 1929 Flying Squirrel, can anyone advise where I can get a saddle? no doubt there will be more questions as I move into the project, thanks to all John Francis
John Francis
Club Member

Re: Flyer Saddle

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 14 Nov 2014, 14:58

Hi,
There are several firms supplying repro' Lycett or Terry saddles, most of which seem to be made in India, but they are quite good. For the finishing touch you can also buy the badge that goes on the rear edge. If you are determined to have an original one, try an advert in Yowl, don't forget to state the width that you require. Repro' ones go from the small 'Bantam' size up to the very large 'Colonial' size.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 14 Nov 2014, 15:25

Thank you Brian, I spoke today to Mike Boulton (01761 436681) who can supply the bantam type saddles. I have been staring blankly at the exhaust system wondering what to do. I have a Howath silencer from club spares and the coffee pot type for one exhaust pipe. can you buy the exhaust? or is it just wait for one to come along? as an aside was the 29 flyer chrome or nickel plated. maybe I should know but I am a bit green where scotts are concerned. many thanks john
John Francis
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 14 Nov 2014, 16:46

Hi,
There should be no chromium on a 1929 Flyer, as chrome plating was not adopted by the motorcycle industry until 1930. There are some minor exceptions to that rule, all as discussed previously on this website, these being chrome-plated star washers on the side friction dampers of Webb forks, Binks carburettor bodies (satin chrome), etc..

You will probably have to get an exhaust pipe made up to connect the coffeepot expansion chamber to the Howarth silencer on the left-hand side of the bike. Get hold of a photo from a 1929 catalogue (Club Archivist or Librarian), to show the correct sweep of the pipe. Various exhaust makers will be able to help.

Your new saddle needs to be bigger than the small Bantam size to look right.

Do you have a Flying Squirrel Tourer (Webb forks), or a Flying Squirrel Deluxe (Scott kite shape forks) ?

Brian
Last edited by BRIAN MARSHALL on 14 Nov 2014, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 14 Nov 2014, 20:27

Hi Brian, I have the Webb forks, interesting that just the star washer was chrome, I am in the process of assembling the bike (as it was taken to bits) and not used from the 70s, then i'll take it apart again to restore, I have the Bakelite steering damper, I notice that there is a bracket as part of the assembly that protrudes slightly over the webb forks any idea what goes on it? or what it does? also uncovered the delivery plaque from Reynolds Liverpool. I have restored main stream 60s bikes before but the scott is a steep learning curve, thanks for your help. john
John Francis
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 14 Nov 2014, 20:57

Hi,
If you have the correct petrol/oil tank there should be a stud sticking up between the two filler caps, and the bracket on the steering damper should anchor onto that. Typically the anchor strap will be in two pieces, with slots to bolt the two halves together, to allow for minor variations in length. If you have bits missing Baz Jackson (Eastbourne) makes repro' parts.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 15 Nov 2014, 19:43

Hi Brian, I had a look today the tank has the 'bit' for the damper, any idea how I can get in contact with Baz Jackson?. The tank seems quite narrow and there are knee pads on the side, I assume they had the cream lozenge with red outline on the top of the tank with a cream panel on the side? from what I can see it looks black all over with just enough room to fit the scott badge on the side of the tank (due to the position of the knee pads). sorry but another question, the exhaust pipe from the coffee pot is that the same diameter along to the 'Howarth' silencer? The pipe I have is reduced in size, so it steps down from the coffee pot along to the existing silencer which has a smaller input bore than the Howarth. many thanks for the advice. John
John Francis
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 17 Nov 2014, 10:59

Hi John, I will send you a pm with contact details for Baz Jackson. Your exhaust pipe sounds to be the correct one, narrowing down a couple of inches to the rear of the coffeepot. Make sure that you have your Howarth silencer the correct way round, with the smaller diameter pipe towards the rear, to accept the fishtail outlet casting.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 18 Nov 2014, 17:53

Thanks for that Brian, Am I correct in saying the exhaust pipe will need to step up to match the diameter of the Howarth silencer,Also does the fishtail fit over the exhaust? or is there a pipe insert that fits in the silencer and the fishtail. (I bought the silencer and fishtail from the club spares scheme). again thanks for the advice john
John Francis
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 18 Nov 2014, 18:27

Hi John, The fishtail should fit directly over the outlet from the Howarth, with the fixing lug positioned underneath. The lug should have a slot down it, and a hole thru' it for a 1/4" diameter bolt, nut, and two washers, to allow it to be clamped onto the pipe. Normally the exhaust pipe should also fit snugly over the inlet to the silencer, so it sounds as if you may need a mod to achieve that.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 19 Nov 2014, 09:47

Hi Brian, Yes it looks like I will have to put an insert in as the casting for the fishtail will crack if I flex it too much. What's your view on Flyer handlebars/levers, from what I can see the bars are 1'' external, I have got the normal type of levers, not the ones that fit in the end of the bar. If I was to change is it a pain to get scott handlebars/fabrication? thanks John
John Francis
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 19 Nov 2014, 10:19

Hi, The correct handlebars are about 30" wide and flat in one plane, and 1" OD. They are difficult to find, but every few years somebody seems to get a batch made. Have you tried the Spares Scheme ? Inverted levers were used up to about the end of 1933, and they can be bought from various suppliers as repro' items. (See adverts in VMCC Journal, etc.). There is also a guy in the Czech Republic making nice ones.
I can get my handlebars bent for me locally, but I don't know where you live. I do have a drawing for the vintage Flyer, and TT Replica bars.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby John Francis » 19 Nov 2014, 19:18

hi Brian, thanks again for the information, If you have got a spec for the handlebars that would be great, I have also found someone to do the exhaust (Alldens 07595 448713) very helpful on the phone, I have not picked up Baz contact details yet shall I send you a private to discuss logistics? regards John
John Francis
Club Member

Return to Forum News, Help and Discussions