Random user accounts and links on the forum - beware !

Here you can find out about using the forum - if you are a new user please browse, other users can post/ask advice on how to use the forum.

Random user accounts and links on the forum - beware !

Postby scottown » 12 Apr 2007, 06:49

Some of you may have noticed we have a lot of randomly named user accounts being registered on this forum every day. These are caused by advertising 'robots' which automatically register themselves on forums like this in order to promote websites and to capture user email addresses for the purposes of sending junk email (known as 'Spam'). This phenomenon is affecting a number of web forums at the present time and can be prevented by upgrading our forum to a later software version. None of these accounts are activated so they shouldn't be able to post messages on this forum. So why am I telling you this...... ?

Two reasons: firstly be very wary about visiting any weblinks listed in a user's profile (in fact don't click on any weblink unless you recognise it as being from a bonafide Scott forum member). Secondly, I am currently receiving several hundred of these account registrations per week and consequently there's a chance i'll miss any genuine new users. If you are a new user wishing to register then please follow the registration process as usual AND send me an email (to webmaster@scottownersclub.org) containing your username so that I can activate your new account.

Best Regards and please don't let this cause worry or prevent you from enjoying the forum,

Paul wilson
webmaster@scottownersclub.org
scottown
Site Admin

Return to Forum News, Help and Discussions