Personal Messaging on the forum

Here you can find out about using the forum - if you are a new user please browse, other users can post/ask advice on how to use the forum.

Do users want personal messaging enabled on this Forum

Poll ended at 31 Aug 2007, 22:28

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Don't know what it is
No votes

Total votes : 5

Personal Messaging on the forum

Postby Paul Wilson » 01 Aug 2007, 22:28

Do users want personal messaging enabled on this Forum ?
Paul Wilson
Club Member

Postby Erik » 02 Aug 2007, 06:20

I am a member of quite a few boards, both for work and hobby. A lot on the same software as this one. Most of the boards do have the personal messaging enabled.

How does it work?

When you want to send one of the members a message you click on the PM button below every posting. You can then write a message to the person in a box very similar to the one when you make posting or reply on the board itself. When you send the message gets send to the person. The first time he enters the board he gets a pop up telling him there is a message waiting. When the member has entered his emailadress at registration he will also get an email telling him there is a message.

The advantage is that you do not have to post your email address on the board. Thus webcrawlers that gather mail addresses to send spam to cannot find that.

I know of no disadvantages.

http://flyingsquirrel.nl
Erik
Club Member

personal messaging

Postby ajb235 » 04 Aug 2007, 20:04

I have used this feature on other forums and it does work. Your E mail address stays private.
I recently advertised some parts on the Scott forum. Buyers were unable to contact me so I had to post my E mail address.
Result? Sold some parts, but now receive a lot of Spam Email.
I would recommend personal messaging to this forum
ajb235
Club Member

Personal messaging is now enabled !!!!!

Postby Paul Wilson » 21 Sep 2007, 22:25

Please note that i've now enabled personal messaging (shown as the 'pm' icon in messages) on this forum as per Erik's original request,

Best Regards,

Paul Wilson
webmaster@scottownersclub.org
Paul Wilson
Club Member

Return to Forum News, Help and Discussions