WOW! brand new carb!

Users of the forum can post details of where to find useful parts here (other than joining the SOC Spares Scheme of course). Note: The Scott Owners Club Ltd does not endorse, recommend or vouch for any of the postings in this section.

WOW! brand new carb!

Postby James » 19 Sep 2015, 13:37

James
Club Member

Re: WOW! brand new carb!

Postby ERIC BAYLISS » 19 Sep 2015, 13:45

Yes but did you see he put the price up £50 a few days after he listed it. with no bids. and he is not the only one doing it.
ERIC BAYLISS
Club Member

Postby James » 19 Sep 2015, 13:59

That's too bad, but where are you going to find another one? It would be a shame to use it and wear it out! :shock:
James
Club Member

Postby The Shipley Squirrel » 20 Sep 2015, 23:09

I'd have thought if he's asking £400 for it he might have managed to take some pictures that were in focus !
The Shipley Squirrel
Club Member

Postby chris wastell » 21 Sep 2015, 06:47

A few years ago a very unpleasant VMCC member in Poole, Dorset, tried to sell me a brand new carb for £150. He thought he had a captive market as he'd already stung me for parts I had to have. I didn't buy it on principle,perhaps it would have been a good investment?
chris wastell
Club Member

Postby Barrie » 21 Sep 2015, 09:02

Well, if you don't want it, ignore the man ,
but some fool will part with his money ,
there are alternative carbs that will work better than the original item.
Barrie
Club Member

Postby efr215 » 21 Sep 2015, 16:04

James wrote:That's too bad, but where are you going to find another one? It would be a shame to use it and wear it out! :shock:

There's one in S.E Essex but you gotta buy a load of boxes wiv all the rest of the Squirrel bits in 'em to get it! :D :roll:
efr215
Club Member

Postby James » 21 Sep 2015, 20:17

efr215 wrote:There's one in S.E Essex but you gotta buy a load of boxes wiv all the rest of the Squirrel bits in 'em to get it! :D :roll:

tell us more! :)
James
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 25 Sep 2015, 20:56

Now here is quite a story !! Years have passed since it happened, so it is probably safe to tell the tale.... Once upon a time, at a Stafford Showground auction before the days of Bonhams Auctioneers, a quantity of Scott spares were being sold by someone who we later found out did NOT own the spares. Amongst the items were wooden trays FULL of new boxed Scott-Amal 206/151R carbs, complete with twistgrip throttle, throttle cable, air lever, and choke cable. One of the auctioneer's staff, ( a porter wearing an apron), approached me and said that the carburettors had failed to sell as one lot, and the vendor wondered if anyone there wanted to buy them individually for £35-00 each. I agreed and handed over my payment, and was handed my carburettor, cables, twistgrip, and airlever, plus for some inexplicable reason, two of the wooden trays that had contained the boxes of carbs. I was told that the trays were used by Matt Holder for general use in the Birmingham Scott works.
I saw other SOC members buying the single carbs, but only I got the wooden trays, and I still use them in the workshop. It looks like a few of the carbs are now emerging again, at a very good profit margin! I still wonder if the vendor actually knew what was happening, and if the porter was working a fiddle. Me getting two of the trays MIGHT have been disposal of evidence onto an unsuspecting punter !?
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Jeff Reed » 02 Oct 2015, 09:17

I was at the same sale and spoke to a SOC member about bidding on the carbs. He agreed to bid and sell me one of the carbs at a price that reflected what he paid for the whole batch. Like Brian I paid £35 for the complete unit, cables, controls and carb. Perhaps there were two lots and the second lot were those that Brian was offered. Now of course I wish I had bid on the lot and sold one to the other chap. Jeff Reed.
Jeff Reed
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 02 Oct 2015, 10:35

Jeff, can you remember what year it was ? From memory I think it was the same sale that had the remains of the 1914 works TT bike, that was bought by John Bentley and subsequently restored by David Frank.
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby Jeff Reed » 05 Oct 2015, 08:00

Hello Brian, no I can't remember when the sale was. I do remember a wooden crate containig a basket case but seem to think this was a late 20's early 30's Scott. Jeff Reed.
Jeff Reed
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 11 Nov 2015, 15:40

That unused old stock carb has just reappeared on eBay at £300... (That's £100 less than the previous listing)
Brian
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Return to Sources of Supply