Horn repairs

Users of the forum can post details of where to find useful parts here (other than joining the SOC Spares Scheme of course). Note: The Scott Owners Club Ltd does not endorse, recommend or vouch for any of the postings in this section.

Horn repairs

Postby chris wastell » 03 Jul 2017, 09:57

Can anyone please recommend a repairer of horns? I made the fatal mistake a few years ago of thinking I could improve my Altette. the paper gasket/shims fell apart and that was the end of it. I also have a dead clearhooter. Taff the Horn isn't interested, he has too much work already. I know he sells the Lucas gaskets but I think they are going to be beyond my patience. I would be very grateful for any leads, thanks. PS: I have fitted little Chinesehooters on both bikes but it's not the same.
chris wastell
Club Member

Re: Horn repairs

Postby SwedScott » 05 Jul 2017, 17:30

Hi

If other adjusting shrews has been left alone it's usually only a matter of turning the little slotted shrew on the backside of the horn a few clicks in either direction to make the horn sound again. Preferably check the current consumption when the horn is sounding, over 10A on a 6V horn is too much.
If the horn has been totally dismantled the process of making it work again can be very tedious, although.
Sometimes the points inside the horn needs a little cleaning up to make the horn sound.
i usually make horn gaskets of 0,25 mm gasket paper, it has always worked for me.

Good luck
Leif
SwedScott
Club Member

Postby chris wastell » 13 Jul 2017, 20:00

Thanks Leif. I did make a couple of paper gaskets but the fiddle of getting everything in line to put it back together was threatening to send me insane
chris wastell
Club Member

Postby BRIAN MARSHALL » 14 Jul 2017, 18:52

"Oh ye of little patience" :D
BRIAN MARSHALL
Club Member

Postby chris wastell » 15 Jul 2017, 08:46

'Fraid so. :cry:
chris wastell
Club Member

Postby chris wastell » 15 Jul 2017, 08:47

There must be someone other than Taff the horn who offers a service to the idle.
chris wastell
Club Member

Return to Sources of Supply