Your absolutely right Leif sometimes you have to compromise and the tank was the first.
I should add that if anyone has a tank for a 1929 tourer and wants to exchange it for a wonderfully painted tank for 30’s flyer or anything else for that matter I would be very grateful to hear from you.
The first thing that blew me away was the amount of detail you miss when things are painted. All of the wonderful Webb dampers are carefully stamped with patent numbers the frame had stamps and number on bits I hadn’t seen before. It was interesting to see what care and attention to detail these men and I am sure women of old put into building these wonderful machines. I must add that I didn’t have the wheels vapour blasted they where never painted maroon and although they are tatty and rusty in places I felt I could always go back to them later if needs be. So next job, on with the paint and before I new it my bike was black. Somehow I felt that if all else fails I have left one Scott a bit better condition than I found it.
The forks where complete and when back together very well, the bushes where in good condition and apart from having to buy some knurled washers and a few new dampening pads there where no problems. What was hard was finding information about the Webb Forks used on Scotts. I do not know how many times I used the internet to try and work out if all Webbs are the same, if medium Webbs are right for a Scott. It would appear that every manufacturer under the sun copied Webb and you are never sure what your buying. Finally salvation came from the velocette owners club who pointed me in the right direction. There I one or two things I learned, there are a few people making new parts for Webb hubs, you can get hold of most parts now and there is a contact in the Velocette club and who advertises in their magazine making new parts. I also learned of Jake Robins or Robinson who has a business on the south coast and can make complete new forks in the Webb style. Finally I learned that knurled washers are really expensive and that I needed a lathe !
The next problem was the steering head, one of the original tapered bearings was shot and it wasn’t the standard inch bearing it was an old Timlin bearing 1764X which was obsolete. I remember demolishing a Timlin factory in Daventry and there being bearings all over the place if only I had picked a few up I might not be in this situation. Of course the problem was easily fixed by suggestions on face book and making contact with a few bearing factors. Bob your uncle stealing head went into frame, forks on and I had something which was starting to look like a bike.