HOME and how to join Forum Open Area General Scott topics Scotting is FUN!…but would be better without gearslip… Reply To: Scotting is FUN!…but would be better without gearslip…

Ken Mercer
Participant

Hi Eric!
Ken Mercer here from Cape Town.
I cannot claim recent experience of two speeders but as a very young man my only form of transport was a 1930 two speed sports squirrel. This was also a lot of fun but as it was my only form of transport for getting to and from work and for all recreational purposes it did have some drawbacks! I used the bike for about three years before swapping it for a more user-friendly 1929 three speed tourer model.
I just wanted to say that although I had my fair share of problems with the gear I do remember that it did not slip in top gear. I remember also that the adjustment of the rod which controls gear selection was quite critical. The quick thread arrangement was I thought pretty basic and on my machine I had to compromise and accept that to stop the low gear from slipping I would have to hold the gear lever down with my heel if I wanted the high gear to stay put! I do recall that on one occasion the small end of one of the pivot bolts snapped off which of course resulted in lost movement and very little drive. I had to make replacements because in 1946/7 the Scott Co had almost no spares for two speeders and there was no Scott Club then either. I also had to have a complete hollow spindle made by a friendly tool-maker because some previous owner had butchered the threads beyond repair.
You have obviously done a great deal of work on your gear but in good order they should not slip if the actuating mechanism is able to hold the thing tightly engaged.
On one epic occasion I even rode the machine from East Essex to the Isle of Man to see the 1947 Manx G.P. and carried a pillion passenger all the way. I had absolutely no problem with the gear slipping and had to climb some pretty steep hills en route. We must also remember that Scott two speeders were raced with sidecars attached so the ability to drive without slipping was certainly there.
Maybe I am being silly here but have you considered that perhaps modern oils are just too darned slippery for this type of application?
No doubt one of our more erudite members could comment on this!
I look forward to hearing how you sort the slipping problem out.
Ken Mercer
1947 Flyer