Three speed box. The mainshaft was very slightly out of true. The sliding dog was very worn so was the low gear assembly. I have replaced all these with more serviceable items that I had. Now I can hardly get 1st gear at all. the adjustment is spot on (foot change) and Ive had the cluster out twice but cannot see anything wrong. Any advice please?
Thanks in advance.
When I was setting mine up, I found the dogs were lined up perfectly for the recesses in the ident plate – but I could either set the linkage to get Neutral, second & Third – But not first OR First, Neutral, Second, BUT not Third.
The bush on the centre of the “velocette” change mechanism was a very snug fit, but the main lump (Rotor?) of the change mechanism was quite loose in the outer “drum”. When I looked closely, you loose a hell of a lot of travel with this play between the drum and “Rotor”. As a stop gap (a few years ago now – so maybe not such a stop gap), I compensate for the play, by experimenting with some butcher feeler gauges. I found that a length of 5thou feeler gauge Araldited to the top and bottom of the Rotor to remove the play between the two – and now it changes gear superbly.
One of these days I will make a more permanent repair – but as this is beginning to look permanent, may be not ……
Thank you for the answers, chaps. The Scott has lost its place on the operating table to a nipped up Guzzi, its like the NHS in my garage! Graham, the ‘rotor’ on my gear change is. nice snug fit so I’m pretty sure the problem must be internal some how. I will try Barrie’s check when I get the Guzzi back in one piece. All very frustrating.
I have had a quick check for play as you suggested Barrie. There appears to be no play at all. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem. When I stripped the gearbox, I turned up a new bronze bush for the mainshaft. I must have given it too thick a shoulder maybe.