[attachment=0:3pkee14a]Reduction Drive.jpg[/attachment:3pkee14a]
Eddie, a pic of mine is above. The exhaust is touching the tank oil feed and it isn’t tightened up yet. My pump looks to be lower than yours for some reason.
The idea of inviting non members should help to boost the numbers attending but will the non members attending the event be able to use motorcycles other than Scotts on the road run?
Millers Oil Classic Mineral 2T through the pilgrim pump.
I did a 70 mile test run with a pub break half way through and topped the rad up at the pub with about 1 pint of water, it did start to steam on a 3 mile section doing around 60mph but calmed down again when I returned to the quieter back roads so I think it will be ok. The long term solution is uncertain but I will inspect it over the winter and make a decision, my budget wont stretch to a new one though.
What is a decent rad seal, I’ve always viewed such products a temporary solutions when trying to keep old cars on the road, has anyone had a good experience using some in a Scott rad?
Steve
Hi Dave
I am thinking of bringing my 47 Scott for the Friday run, the radiator has a leak so I need to give it a run first to see how much water loss there is before I do, its nothing pretty to look at but you are welcome to have it on the stand on Sunday if I do bring it, I wont need the passes though.
Steve
@Kevin N Bayliss wrote:
Hi Steve, firstly the engine is not Scott, it may have similar characteristics but was designed by George Silk, the first 20 or so Silk Scotts had a Scott engine. The brake and gear change was available either side and yes it’s an easy job to swap sides as a crossover shaft was used, but brake pedals are handed, so you would need to get an original or get something else to fit, Also linkages which are easy to fabricate and rear brake cable may differ. If you do buy one, make sure it has already been converted to 3/8 duplex chain for the primary drive and get advice from Clive or someone who knows Silk’s before you hand over cash. Kev
Hi Kev
Thanks for the info, do you know what the differences are or are they too great to list. I had always liked the Silks as they were around at the time I came of age to ride them but could never afford one, at least with the adaptable gear change I can look at all on offer.
Steve
Paul
What does the £125 – £135 per person include for please?
Steve
Thanks Brian and Eric
At least I now know it has to be one with a speedo drive. I will keep searching.
Steve
Eric
Mine has the speedo drive on but apart from the mounting holes for it is there much difference?
Steve
Thanks Brian, I take it these are readily available?
Steve
Thanks for all your replies.
Tony, I carried out the procedure you described and the problem is cured, I now have it accurately timed at full advance. This procedure has proved more accurate than trying to measure the piston distance in the restricted area under the radiator plus the mark is there for future reference so thank you.
I have one more job to do and that’s replace the bearing in the final drive outrigger, I may be posting again!
Regards
Steve
Sorry for the delay.
I have now had a chance to test the Scott and with the adv/ret lever at the half way setting it pulled away strongly and accelerated up to 70mph with ease so there lies the answer, now how best to fix the problem, leave as is or adjust the timing?
I will keep fettling.
Steve
Thanks for the encouragement Dripfeed.
Brian
I think I will try out the new ignition setting and then play with the carb settings, I should have some spare jets somewhere.
Going back to Bigkevs suggestion of a blocked exhaust, is there anything special about the Scott silencer or can I use any silencer, only I have a clean four stroke silencer in the shed I could try.
Steve
Hi Colin
All questions have to be asked, you never know do you?
As it happens I am running the V power Nitro and it is about 1 month old so should be ok.
Steve
Thanks Barrie
I will check the sizes.
The grey then confirms what has been discussed re the 7/16 advanced setting. I am looking forward to the road test at the weekend.
Steve